By: Beltz Law Firm
Share This Post
Disobeying Warning Signs In Royse City, Texas
Traffic Ticket Defense In Royse City, Tx
This article is intended to describe the law in Texas as it pertains to disobeying warning signs. Because there is always construction along the highways in Texas it is a common violation that is written up by officers who patrol these work areas. If you would like to discuss your traffic tickets in Royse City, Texas with an experienced attorney in your area contact our legal professionals today.
Section 472.022 Of The Transportation Code
The relevant code provision that applies to these types of violations is listed below as follows:
- Sec. 472.022. OBEYING WARNING SIGNS AND BARRICADES. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:(1) disobeys the instructions, signals, warnings, or markings of a warning sign; or(2) drives around a barricade.(b) This section does not apply to:
(1) a person who is following the directions of a police officer; or
(2) a person, including an employee of the department, a political subdivision of this state, or a contractor or subcontractor, whose duties require the person to go beyond or around a barricade.
(c) Each violation of this section is a separate offense.
(d) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $1 or more than $200, except that:
(1) if the offense is committed in a construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present and any written notice to appear issued for the offense states on its face that workers were present when the offense was committed, the offense is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $2 or more than $400; or
(2) if a person commits an offense under Subsection (a) where a warning sign or barricade has been placed because water is over any portion of a road, street, or highway, the offense is a Class B misdemeanor.
(e) In this section:
(1) “Barricade” means an obstruction:
(A) placed on or across a road, street, or highway of this state by the department, a political subdivision of this state, or a contractor or subcontractor constructing or repairing the road, street, or highway under authorization of the department or a political subdivision of this state; and
(B) placed to prevent the passage of motor vehicles over the road, street, or highway during construction, repair, or dangerous conditions.
(2) “Construction or maintenance work zone” means a portion of a highway or street:
(A) where highway construction or maintenance is being undertaken, other than mobile operations as defined by the Texas Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices; and
(B) that is marked by signs:
(i) indicating that it is a construction or maintenance work zone;
(ii) indicating where the zone begins and ends; and
(iii) stating: “Fines double when workers present.”
(3) “Warning sign” means a signal, marking, or device placed on a barricade or on a road, street, or highway during construction, repair, or dangerous conditions by the department, a political subdivision of this state, or a contractor or subcontractor to warn or regulate motor vehicular traffic. The term includes a flagger deployed on a road, street, or highway by the department, a political subdivision of this state, or a contractor or subcontractor to direct traffic around or on the road, street, or highway during construction, repair, or dangerous conditions.
(f) Articles 45.051 and 45.0511, Code of Criminal Procedure, do not apply to an offense under this section committed in a construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present.
So basically, the following must be present to get a valid citation for disregarding a warning sign:
- The sign must be specific to tell the driver what to do (e.g. “road work” is insufficient)
- The signs must be placed both at the beginning and end of the zone
- The sign cannot be defective or displaced
If you have a warning sign violation you would like our office to review for you call our experienced Royse City Ticket Attorneys today. We have handled thousands of traffic tickets, including speeding tickets, in Royse City Municipal Court and the surrounding communities. Give our Royse City ticket lawyers a call.